Wednesday 10 October 2012

Gum causes birds to die



Diet Myth or Truth: Chewing Gum for Weight Loss

Can chewing sugarless gum really help you cut calories?

Chew on this: Chewing gum can be good for you. Not only can it freshen your breath, it can help you overcome cigarette cravings, improve your memory -- and even help you lose weight.
Contestants on The Biggest Loser use it regularly, and studies have shown that chewing gum can help control cravings, manage hunger, and promote weight loss.
Still, don’t get the idea that chewing a few sticks of gum a day is going to melt off the pounds. A few small studies have shown that chewing gum can help you shave calories. But this won’t lead to significant weight loss unless you also follow a reduced-calorie diet and get regular physical activity.
Sugar-free gum is best because it is usually less than 5 calories per piece, compared to 10 calories for regular gum. In fact, diet plans like Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, and the American Diabetes Association consider sugar-free gum a "free food."  (But "free" doesn’t meal unlimited amounts; some artificially sweetened items can have a laxative effect if over-consumed.)

By
WebMD Expert Column

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear this, as I do enjoy a good chew! I think it also sometimes helps settle my nerves.

    I'm here from Twitter to see your blog and I'm joining. You can join me at my Peripheral Vision (Innersights by Lynda Lehmann) blog or at my Mindsights (Wordpress0 blog, if you like. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete